Skip to main content

She Took a Two-Year Break in Her Career. Now She’s CEO.


She Took a Two-Year Break in Her Career. Now She’s CEO.
Deanna Mulligan of Guardian Life Insurance talks about how time off helped her find new focus
When she was 41 years old, Deanna Mulligan stepped back from the prime of her career. Now CEO of Guardian Life Insurance, Ms. Mulligan reflects on that move, and what it taught her—among other things, that “life is not a straight line.” What follows is an edited version of her reflections, as told to Wall Street Journal reporter Chip Cutter.
My boss saw me waiting outside his door at 7 in the morning.
He said, “Oh no, what’s wrong?”
I said, “Well, I have to talk to you.”
I had a huge lump in my throat. I walked in, sat down and had the conversation: I wanted to take some time off.
I was 41. This is supposed to be the prime of your career. At the time, taking a break was considered a really strange thing to do. People said to me, “You can’t take time off. You’ll never get back on a career path.”
A few things in my life led me to believe it was important.
I had a relative who, unfortunately, died fairly early. It was clear at her funeral that she had made a big impact on a lot of people as a nursery-school teacher and then a director of a preschool. I thought about my life at the time: How many people was I having an impact on? Was my life going to make as big of an impact as hers did?
This happened after 9/11. You read a lot of people who say, “After 9/11, I thought differently about my life and my career goals and what I wanted to do.” I knew people in the building who escaped and, sadly, a few people who didn’t. It was difficult being in New York around 9/11 and not having it affect you in some way. I remember thinking: If I wasn’t going to be here tomorrow, what impact or what memory would I leave behind?
Stepping away
Even though I had worked very hard up to that point, I was very happy with my career. I had the great experience of being a McKinsey consultant for almost nine years. I worked at AXA, a big insurance company. I tried not to let it define me as a person.
But I went around and talked to a few people who had taken breaks before. Interestingly, nobody who had done it said, “Oh, don’t do it. Oh, that’s a bad idea.” Everybody who had done it said, “It was one of the best things I’ve ever done.” And no one to whom I spoke thought that it had a negative impact on their career.
I intended it for it to be six months. But one of my friends said, “You think you’re going to take six months off, but that’s not enough. You have to take at least two years.” And I remember at the time thinking to myself, “Two years?” I could never take two years off.
In retrospect, two years was the right amount of time. The first year I spent decompressing and spending time on activities I had neglected, like exercise. Of course, spending a lot of time with my family, my friends. And, I have to say, time with myself. Time to really be alone and think about what I’d learned and what that meant for my future.
The second year, I was able to focus on what I might like to do next. I cast my net pretty wide. I’m an equestrian; I looked at something in the equestrian field. I spoke to one of the major art houses about working in that field because I have a passion for art.
My original career was in insurance, and ultimately, I decided that I really loved it. I find it to be very meaningful—it affects people’s lives in a major way. We’re here for people at their worst moments. We provide help when someone dies, when someone is disabled, when someone is sick.
I had always wanted to start my own firm, so I started a little consulting outfit. From there, I went to work for Guardian, one of my clients.
I became an employee in July 2008. I went from an executive vice president, running the individual life and disability business, to becoming president and chief operating officer. In July 2011, I became CEO.
Purpose and meaning
I worked really hard before I took the time off, but I worked really hard after. I always loved my job and was very engaged, so I don’t think I approached work differently.
I didn’t come out of my time off saying, “I want to be CEO.” I came out saying, “I want to make a difference and contribute in a way that only I can. What can I do that’s going to be significant?”
Leading with values was something I wanted to be distinct about. I find purpose and meaning in my job every day. Once you find it, you don’t really lose it. I have a different point of view than, maybe, many people have today in society. It is OK to explore, and it’s OK to take time to think about your passions.
There is a lot of advice that’s been given to women over the years—and men, too—to find a path early, to go to the right school, to take all the right steps. There’s pressure to get the right first job and to build toward this ultimate goal.
What I’ve learned is that life is not a straight line.
So, if your children, your spouse, your friends are taking a winding and meandering path, as long as they’re discovering what’s important to them, and trying to live by it, I think that’s all you need to do.
You’ll get to the right place eventually.

Email Mr. Cutter at chip.cutter@wsj.com.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/she-took-a-two-year-break-in-her-career-now-shes-ceo-11570786204?shareToken=st15ae86a3b68745988a7e813ad52a6f07&mod=djmc_pkt_evgrn
أخذت استراحة لمدة عامين في حياتها المهنية. الآن هي الرئيس التنفيذي.
تتحدث ديانا موليجان من غارديان لايف إنشورنس عن كيف ساعدها إجازة في إيجاد تركيز جديد
عندما كانت تبلغ من العمر 41 عامًا ، تراجعت ديانا موليجان عن حياتها المهنية. الآن ، الرئيس التنفيذي لشركة Guardian Life Insurance ، تفكر السيدة موليغان في هذه الخطوة ، وما علمتها لها - من بين أمور أخرى ، أن "الحياة ليست خطًا مستقيمًا." ما يلي هو نسخة منقحة من أفكارها ، كما أخبرتها وول ستريت مراسل مجلة تشيب كتر.
رآني رئيس العمل في الانتظار خارج بابه في الساعة السابعة صباحًا.
قال ، "لا لا ، ما الخطأ؟"
قلت ، "حسنًا ، يجب أن أتحدث إليكم."
كان لدي كتلة ضخمة في حلقي. مشيت وجلست وأجري الحديث: أردت أن أستريح بعض الوقت.
كان عمري 41 عامًا. من المفترض أن يكون هذا هو رئيس حياتك المهنية. في ذلك الوقت ، كان أخذ قسط من الراحة أمرًا غريبًا حقًا. قال لي الناس ، "لا يمكنك أن تأخذ إجازة. لن تعود أبدًا إلى المسار الوظيفي. "
لقد دفعتني بعض الأشياء في حياتي إلى الاعتقاد بأنها مهمة.
كان لدي قريب قريب ، لسوء الحظ ، توفي مبكراً إلى حد ما كان واضحًا في جنازتها أنها أحدثت تأثيرًا كبيرًا على الكثير من الناس كمدرس في الحضانة ثم مديرة لمرحلة ما قبل المدرسة. فكرت في حياتي في ذلك الوقت: كم كان عدد الأشخاص الذين أثرت عليهم؟ هل كانت حياتي أكبر من تأثيرها؟
حدث هذا بعد 11 سبتمبر. تقرأ الكثير من الناس الذين يقولون ، "بعد الحادي عشر من سبتمبر ، فكرت بشكل مختلف في حياتي وأهدافي المهنية وما أردت أن أفعله." عرفت أشخاصاً في المبنى فروا ، وللأسف ، عدد قليل من الناس لم يفعلوا ذلك 'ر. كان من الصعب أن تكون في نيويورك حوالي 9/11 وعدم وجود تأثير عليك بطريقة ما. أتذكر أنني كنت أفكر: إذا لم أكن هنا غدًا ، فما الأثر أو الذاكرة التي سأتركها؟
يخطو بعيدا
على الرغم من أنني عملت بجد حتى هذه النقطة ، إلا أنني كنت سعيدًا للغاية بحياتي المهنية. كانت لدي تجربة رائعة كوني مستشارًا لماكينزي لمدة تسع سنوات تقريبًا. عملت في شركة AXA ، وهي شركة تأمين كبيرة. حاولت ألا أدعه يعرفني كشخص.
لكنني ذهبت حولي وتحدثت مع عدد قليل من الناس الذين أخذوا فترات راحة من قبل. ومن المثير للاهتمام ، أن أحدا لم يفعل ذلك قال ، "أوه ، لا تفعل ذلك. أوه ، هذه فكرة سيئة. "قال كل من فعلها ،" إنها واحدة من أفضل الأشياء التي قمت بها على الإطلاق ". ولم يكن أي شخص تحدثت معه يعتقد أنه كان له تأثير سلبي على حياتهم المهنية.
كنت أنوي أن يكون ستة أشهر. لكن أحد أصدقائي قال: "تعتقد أنك ستستغرق ستة أشهر ، لكن هذا ليس كافيًا. يجب أن تأخذ عامين على الأقل. "وأتذكر في ذلك الوقت أفكر بنفسي ،" سنتان؟ "
عند العودة إلى الوراء ، كان العامان هو مقدار الوقت المناسب. في السنة الأولى التي قضيتها في تخفيف الضغط وقضاء بعض الوقت على الأنشطة التي أهملتها ، مثل التمارين الرياضية. بالطبع ، قضاء الكثير من الوقت مع عائلتي ، أصدقائي. ويجب أن أقول ، الوقت مع نفسي. حان الوقت لنكون وحدنا ونفكر فيما تعلمته وماذا يعني ذلك بالنسبة لمستقبلي.
في السنة الثانية ، تمكنت من التركيز على ما قد ترغب في فعله بعد ذلك. ألقي شبكتي واسعة جدا. أنا فروسية ؛ نظرت إلى شيء في مجال الفروسية. لقد تحدثت إلى أحد المنازل الفنية الكبرى حول العمل في هذا المجال لأن لدي شغف بالفن.
كانت مسيرتي الأصلية في مجال التأمين ، وفي النهاية ، قررت أنني أحببتها حقًا. أجدها ذات مغزى كبير - فهي تؤثر على حياة الناس بشكل كبير. نحن هنا من أجل الناس في أسوأ لحظاتهم. نحن نقدم المساعدة عندما يموت شخص ما ، عندما يكون شخص ما معاقا ، عندما يكون شخص ما مريضا.
كنت أرغب دائمًا في بدء شركتي الخاصة ، لذلك بدأت في ارتداء ملابس استشارية صغيرة. من هناك ، ذهبت للعمل لدى الجارديان ، أحد موكلي.
أصبحت موظفًا في يوليو 2008. لقد انتقلت من نائب الرئيس التنفيذي ، الذي أدار أعمال الحياة الفردية والإعاقة ، إلى منصب الرئيس والمدير التنفيذي للعمليات. في يوليو 2011 ، أصبحت الرئيس التنفيذي.
الغرض والمعنى
لقد عملت بجد قبل أن أستريح ، لكنني عملت بجد بعد ذلك. لطالما أحببت وظيفتي وكنت مخطوبًا للغاية ، لذلك لا أعتقد أنني اقتربت من العمل بطريقة مختلفة.
لم أخرج من وقتي لقول: "أريد أن أكون رئيسًا تنفيذيًا". خرجت قائلة: "أريد إحداث فرق والمساهمة بطريقة لا أستطيع إلا أن أفعلها. ماذا يمكنني أن أفعل ذلك سيكون مهمًا؟ "

القيادة مع القيم شيء أردت أن أكون متميزًا عنه. أجد الغرض والمعنى في عملي كل يوم. بمجرد العثور عليها ، لن تفقدها حقًا. لدي وجهة نظر مختلفة عن ، ربما ، كثير من الناس لديهم اليوم في المجتمع. لا بأس في الاستكشاف ، ومن الجيد أن تأخذ بعض الوقت للتفكير في مشاعرك
هناك الكثير من النصائح التي قُدمت للنساء على مر السنين - والرجال أيضًا - لإيجاد طريق مبكر ، للذهاب إلى المدرسة المناسبة ، لاتخاذ جميع الخطوات الصحيحة. هناك ضغط للحصول على الوظيفة الأولى الصحيحة والبناء نحو هذا الهدف النهائي.
ما تعلمته هو أن الحياة ليست خط مستقيم.
لذا ، إذا كان أطفالك وزوجتك وأصدقاؤك يسلكون مسارًا متعرجًا وتعرجًا ، طالما أنهم يكتشفون ما هو مهم بالنسبة لهم ، ويحاولون العيش فيه ، أعتقد أن هذا هو كل ما عليك القيام به.
ستصل إلى المكان الصحيح في النهاية.

البريد الإلكتروني السيد كتر في chip.cutter@wsj.com.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mona Farouk reveals scenes of "scandalous video"Egyptian actress Mona Farouk appeared on

Mona Farouk reveals scenes of "scandalous video"Egyptian actress Mona Farouk appeared on Monday in a video clip to discuss the details of the case she is currently facing. She recorded the first video and audio statements about the scandalous video that she brings together with Khaled Youssef.Farouk detonated several surprises, on the sidelines of her summons to the Egyptian prosecution, that Khalid Youssef was a friend of her father years ago, when she was a young age, and then collected a love relationship with him when she grew up, and married him in secret with the knowledge of her parents and her father and brother because his social status was not allowed to declare marriage .Muna Farouk revealed that the video was filmed in a drunken state. She and her colleague Shima al-Hajj said that on the same day the video was filmed, she was at odds with Shima, and Khaled Yusuf repaired them and then drank alcohol.She confirmed that Youssef was the one who filmed the clips whil

الحلقة 20 هنادي المطلقة والمحلل (ماذا قال كتاب العرب في هنادي)-----------Khalid Babiker

• الجنس شعور فوضوي يتحكم في الذات والعقل . وله قوة ذاتية لا تتصالح إلا مع نفسها . هكذا قال أنصار المحلل الحلقة 20 هنادي المطلقة والمحلل (ماذا قال كتاب العرب في هنادي) أول طريق عبره الإنسان هو طريق الذكر . بعدها شهق وصرخ . تمرغ في الزيت المقدس . وجرب نشوة الأرغوس . عاجلا أم آجلا سيبحث عن هذا الطريق ( كالأسماك تعود إلى أرض ميلادها لتبيض وتموت ) . وسيعبره . سيعبره بحثا عن الديمومة . وسيشهق وسيضحك . لقد جاء إليه غريبا . سيظل بين جدرانه الدافئة غريبا . وحالما يدفع تلك الكائنات الحية الصغيرة المضطربة في الهاوية الملعونة سيخرج فقيرا مدحورا يشعر بخيانة ما ( ..... ) . لن ينسى الإنسان أبدا طريق الذكر الذي عبره في البدء . سيتذكره ليس بالذاكرة وإنما بالذكر . سيعود إليه بعد البلوغ أكثر شوقا وتولعا . ولن يدخل فيه بجميع بدنه كما فعل في تلك السنوات التي مضت وإنما سيدخل برأسه . بعد ذلك سيندفع غير مبال بالخطر والفضيحة والقانون والدين . الله هناك خلف الأشياء الصغيرة . خلف كل شهقة . كل صرخة مندفعا في الظلام كالثور في قاعة المسلخ . الله لا يوجد في الأشياء الكبيرة . في الشرانق . في المح . ينشق فمه . تن

Trusting Liar (#5) Leave a reply

Trusting Liar (#5) Leave a reply Gertruida is the first to recover.  “Klasie… ?” “Ag drop the pretence, Gertruida. You all call me ‘Liar’ behind my back, so why stop now? Might as well be on the same page, yes?” Liar’s face is flushed with anger; the muscles in his thin neck prominently bulging. “That diamond belongs to me. Hand it over.” “What are you doing? Put away the gun…” “No! This…,” Liar sweeps his one hand towards the horizon, “…is my place.  Mine!   I earned it! And you…you have no right to be here!” “Listen, Liar, we’re not the enemy. Whoever is looking for you with the aeroplane and the chopper….well, it isn’t us. In fact, we were worried about you and that’s why we followed you. We’re here to help, man!” Vetfaan’s voice is pleading as he takes a step closer to the distraught man. “Now, put down the gun and let’s chat about all this.” Liar hesitates, taken aback after clearly being convinced that the group  had hostile intentions. “I…I’m not sure I believe