Skip to main content

My story isn’t Serena Williams’ story, but some things sound the same

فينوس

Venus Williams

My story isn’t Serena Williams’ story, but some things sound the same

I’m not much of a tennis fan, but I am a fan of Serena Williams. Who wouldn’t be after hearing her story? Her rise to the upper echelon of athletics was remarkable, and her longevity is incomparable. All the while, she has challenged the sporting world’s notions about who and what an elite tennis player is supposed to be. I watched her interviews after this year’s Wimbledon finals and was once again in awe.
Less than a year prior to this championship, Ms. Williams delivered a baby girl and then suffered from a pulmonary embolism and other complications. What stuck with me most about her delivery story was the fact that her doctors didn’t seem to take her at her word. Ms. Williams has a history of a previous pulmonary embolism and knew the signs, symptoms, and management. When she became short of breath, she voiced her concerns about the possibility of a pulmonary embolism and asked to be worked up for it. However, members of her health care team thought that she was confused and tried to calm her down. They didn’t seem to believe her. They acquiesced after she kept insisting. What would have happened if she hadn’t kept insisting? Why didn’t they believe her the first time she said that something was wrong?
I need my doctors to believe me. I am quite sensitive about that, and that is because I know what it feels like when they don’t. I found a mass on the right side of my neck during my first year of medical school. I remember pointing it out to my friends after anatomy lab and all of us agreeing that I should have it checked out. I dutifully went to student health where I was told that the mass was a lymph node and that I shouldn’t worry about it.
Even then, I knew that didn’t seem right. I went back to student health and other doctors again and again as the mass slowly grew. Each time I was told it was some kind of lymphadenopathy or a random infection and something not worth troubling myself about. I asked for imaging and was denied over and over again. By the time I was a second-year resident, the walnut-sized mass was hard and fixed in place with three rubbery lymph nodes on top of it. I knew. I went to another doctor, and when she started to tell me not to worry about it, I had what amounted to a hissy fit. I knew myself and my body. I knew something wasn’t right and I wanted imaging.
She ordered a CT to appease me, and I had it done that same day. Within two hours, I had my diagnosis: carotid body paraganglioma. It was resected, and those three lymph nodes were sent to pathology. That’s when it was confirmed to be malignant.
Cancer and the stroke that followed it changed my whole life. It upended everything I thought I knew about the doctor-patient relationship. I realize that I had a relatively rare cancer and that my outcomes were unexpected. I could understand my physicians’ reassurance after our first meetings. I was young and otherwise healthy. Nothing was supposed to go wrong. What I couldn’t understand is that I kept coming back with the same complaint, a growing concern, and a growing mass, and despite that, my concerns were continually dismissed. I was a medical student and then a doctor myself and still felt like no one took me seriously. I started to wonder why.
A growing number of studies are examining the way that physicians respond to their patient’s complaints. Too often, it seems that physicians downplay their patients’ pain, psychiatric symptoms, trauma and other concerning issues. Implicit biases and other psychosocial factors certainly influence our interactions with patients. Women, people with disabilities, minorities and other members of marginalized communities are particularly vulnerable to bias within the medical community.
Unfortunately, these biases lead to poor patient outcomes. We, physicians, know that these disparities exist but we seem to be a bit unwilling to question ourselves about them. How often have we heard patients complain that doctors don’t listen to them? That we don’t take our patients seriously? How often are these patients labeled as “difficult,” “noncompliant” or “crazy?” How often are those patients women? Black? Latino? Gay? How often do those patients look different from us?
My story isn’t Serena Williams’ story, but some things sound the same.
We’re both young black women in positions of privilege who faced a catastrophic illness. Despite our respective privileges, we both had to fight to get the health care that we needed. Things could have been worse for us both, but they could have been a lot better too. I wonder if things would have been different if my first doctor had ordered a CT scan. I wonder if the tumor would have had the time to spread. I wonder if I would have had a stroke. Regardless of how things turned out, I’m glad for the lessons that I’ve learned. I know now that listening to my patients and making them feel heard is one of the most important things that I can do for them.
Sometimes a patient’s complaints seem outlandish and their symptoms impossible. But sometimes they’re right. Sometimes just listening to a patient can save their life.
Diana Cejas is a pediatric neurologist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mona Farouk reveals scenes of "scandalous video"Egyptian actress Mona Farouk appeared on

Mona Farouk reveals scenes of "scandalous video"Egyptian actress Mona Farouk appeared on Monday in a video clip to discuss the details of the case she is currently facing. She recorded the first video and audio statements about the scandalous video that she brings together with Khaled Youssef.Farouk detonated several surprises, on the sidelines of her summons to the Egyptian prosecution, that Khalid Youssef was a friend of her father years ago, when she was a young age, and then collected a love relationship with him when she grew up, and married him in secret with the knowledge of her parents and her father and brother because his social status was not allowed to declare marriage .Muna Farouk revealed that the video was filmed in a drunken state. She and her colleague Shima al-Hajj said that on the same day the video was filmed, she was at odds with Shima, and Khaled Yusuf repaired them and then drank alcohol.She confirmed that Youssef was the one who filmed the clips whil

الحلقة 20 هنادي المطلقة والمحلل (ماذا قال كتاب العرب في هنادي)-----------Khalid Babiker

• الجنس شعور فوضوي يتحكم في الذات والعقل . وله قوة ذاتية لا تتصالح إلا مع نفسها . هكذا قال أنصار المحلل الحلقة 20 هنادي المطلقة والمحلل (ماذا قال كتاب العرب في هنادي) أول طريق عبره الإنسان هو طريق الذكر . بعدها شهق وصرخ . تمرغ في الزيت المقدس . وجرب نشوة الأرغوس . عاجلا أم آجلا سيبحث عن هذا الطريق ( كالأسماك تعود إلى أرض ميلادها لتبيض وتموت ) . وسيعبره . سيعبره بحثا عن الديمومة . وسيشهق وسيضحك . لقد جاء إليه غريبا . سيظل بين جدرانه الدافئة غريبا . وحالما يدفع تلك الكائنات الحية الصغيرة المضطربة في الهاوية الملعونة سيخرج فقيرا مدحورا يشعر بخيانة ما ( ..... ) . لن ينسى الإنسان أبدا طريق الذكر الذي عبره في البدء . سيتذكره ليس بالذاكرة وإنما بالذكر . سيعود إليه بعد البلوغ أكثر شوقا وتولعا . ولن يدخل فيه بجميع بدنه كما فعل في تلك السنوات التي مضت وإنما سيدخل برأسه . بعد ذلك سيندفع غير مبال بالخطر والفضيحة والقانون والدين . الله هناك خلف الأشياء الصغيرة . خلف كل شهقة . كل صرخة مندفعا في الظلام كالثور في قاعة المسلخ . الله لا يوجد في الأشياء الكبيرة . في الشرانق . في المح . ينشق فمه . تن

Trusting Liar (#5) Leave a reply

Trusting Liar (#5) Leave a reply Gertruida is the first to recover.  “Klasie… ?” “Ag drop the pretence, Gertruida. You all call me ‘Liar’ behind my back, so why stop now? Might as well be on the same page, yes?” Liar’s face is flushed with anger; the muscles in his thin neck prominently bulging. “That diamond belongs to me. Hand it over.” “What are you doing? Put away the gun…” “No! This…,” Liar sweeps his one hand towards the horizon, “…is my place.  Mine!   I earned it! And you…you have no right to be here!” “Listen, Liar, we’re not the enemy. Whoever is looking for you with the aeroplane and the chopper….well, it isn’t us. In fact, we were worried about you and that’s why we followed you. We’re here to help, man!” Vetfaan’s voice is pleading as he takes a step closer to the distraught man. “Now, put down the gun and let’s chat about all this.” Liar hesitates, taken aback after clearly being convinced that the group  had hostile intentions. “I…I’m not sure I believe