Skip to main content

I didn’t become a physician to do data entry JAYA MALLIDI, MD | TECH |

I didn’t become a physician to do data entry

The trouble began when I needed to open the electronic health record (EHR) system for the tenth time that day. EHRs have significantly changed the way we practice medicine. They have completely eliminated the need for storage and transport of paper charts, reduced prescription errors secondary to illegible handwritings of physicians and provided an excellent platform to maximize billing for services rendered. However, in terms of creating a smooth workflow for physicians and in facilitating meaningful face to face encounters with our patients, all EHR systems have completely failed.
Sara, the nurse for Ms. Tucker, called me saying, “Doc, Ms. Tucker is back from the cardiac catheterization lab. She is complaining of a mild headache.”
“It must be from the nitroglycerine I gave her in the lab; please give the ordered Tylenol, it will resolve soon,” I said.
“I don’t have any orders, Doc. All the orders for this patient are on hold,” she replied.
“On hold? What do you mean?” I said surprised.
“Yes. All orders go on automatic hold when a patient goes for a procedure and comes back unless you reorder. It’s the new EHR upgrade,” she said.
“OK, I will do it as soon as possible,” I said, taking in a deep breath and involuntarily rubbing my forehead.
To reorder Ms. Tucker’s medications, I needed to log into the EHR system again. I had to do it remotely, as I was at another hospital in town that used a completely different EHR system, though it was only ten minutes away. I had to enter my username and password carefully and slowly three times in response to three different prompts in addition to entering the secret code that was texted to my cell phone. After what felt like an eternity, I logged into this most sacred, highly-classified, triple-password-protected space of EHR. I wondered if the FBI have to enter their passwords thrice to log on to their everyday workspace. As I was able to log onto the EHR system without seeing the prompt “Incorrect username and or password,” anytime during my three-password entries, I regarded it as my greatest success for the day. The fact that Ms. Tucker’s procedure was uncomplicated and smooth faded in comparison to this success.
I opened Ms. Tucker’s chart. There were twenty-one tabs vertically on the left-hand corner of the screen and eighteen tabs horizontally on the top of the screen. I quickly glanced through the cluttered twenty-one vertical tabs; I clicked on the one I am looking for — “transfer medication reconciliation” in the 19th slot. A new grid showing sixteen held orders opened. I selected each of them separately and clicked on “continue.”
Select and continue.
Sixteen times two: thirty-two clicks.
I was fidgety. I was not sure of even reviewing each order. I just clicked and clicked. Final tab. Review and sign. Clicked. End of my rendezvous with EHR for today. I hoped. The age of “clerical” physicians continues, I mused.
A few weeks ago, when there was EHR system breakdown, patients were still taken care of. Nurses took verbal orders. It was unquestionably chaotic, but for me, it was bliss. I was on call for acute heart attacks that day. Ms. Copper drove her husband to the hospital with sudden-onset chest pain. Mr. Cooper had a cardiac arrest in the parking lot of our hospital. He was revived after a brief period of cardiopulmonary resuscitation and taken immediately to the cardiac catheterization lab. I opened his occluded left circumflex artery successfully, and he was transported to the intensive care unit in a stable condition. No one pestered me regarding entering orders before doing the procedure.
After the procedure, I wrote down the report and all the orders on a single plain sheet of paper in fifteen minutes. Zero clicks. I then went to meet Ms. Cooper in the family lounge. Usually, I am interrupted by messages from the nursing staff that family is waiting for me when putting orders or vice-versa that there is some problem with order entry when I am meeting with the family. This didn’t happen that day. Ms. Cooper had my undivided attention for a full twenty minutes. Her eyes filled with tears of gratitude at the end of our conversation. She hugged me and said, “Thank you for saving my husband’s life.” I didn’t have to rush to correct orders or type in my notes. The bliss, unfortunately, lasted only for twenty-four hours, and once the software was uploaded again, the usual “digital” drudgery continued.
I chose to be a physician to care for people. I value my direct face-to-face interactions with my patients. I want to hear their stories told by them in their own words. I cherish their smiles, their tears, their gratitude, their handshakes and hugs. I did not sign up for screen time with a computer, speed typing or clicking. I did not sign up to type passwords multiple times.
The leading, if not the only, cause reported for physician burnout is workflow issues related to the use of EHR systems. Instead of providing meaningful clinical documentation for easy communication among health care providers, it has evolved into this massive, cumbersome giant with so many interfaces, cluttered screens, redundancy and duplication requiring innumerable clicks, selects, templates and passwords with no added clinical value but only frustration and burnout for physicians. The software has to be re-designed for clinicians to efficiently gather data, enter orders and communicate relevant clinical information without having bloated notes and cluttered screens that are catered for easy billing and coding. Clinicians together with hospital administrators and information technology professionals should be actively involved in the development, testing and optimization of new electronic features to streamline the workflow. For me, there will be no joy in the practice of medicine until my frustrating rendezvous with EHRs end.
The names used in essay have been modified to maintain anonymity. It is a fictionalized account of true events.
Jaya Mallidi is an interventional cardiologist.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mona Farouk reveals scenes of "scandalous video"Egyptian actress Mona Farouk appeared on

Mona Farouk reveals scenes of "scandalous video"Egyptian actress Mona Farouk appeared on Monday in a video clip to discuss the details of the case she is currently facing. She recorded the first video and audio statements about the scandalous video that she brings together with Khaled Youssef.Farouk detonated several surprises, on the sidelines of her summons to the Egyptian prosecution, that Khalid Youssef was a friend of her father years ago, when she was a young age, and then collected a love relationship with him when she grew up, and married him in secret with the knowledge of her parents and her father and brother because his social status was not allowed to declare marriage .Muna Farouk revealed that the video was filmed in a drunken state. She and her colleague Shima al-Hajj said that on the same day the video was filmed, she was at odds with Shima, and Khaled Yusuf repaired them and then drank alcohol.She confirmed that Youssef was the one who filmed the clips whil

الحلقة 20 هنادي المطلقة والمحلل (ماذا قال كتاب العرب في هنادي)-----------Khalid Babiker

• الجنس شعور فوضوي يتحكم في الذات والعقل . وله قوة ذاتية لا تتصالح إلا مع نفسها . هكذا قال أنصار المحلل الحلقة 20 هنادي المطلقة والمحلل (ماذا قال كتاب العرب في هنادي) أول طريق عبره الإنسان هو طريق الذكر . بعدها شهق وصرخ . تمرغ في الزيت المقدس . وجرب نشوة الأرغوس . عاجلا أم آجلا سيبحث عن هذا الطريق ( كالأسماك تعود إلى أرض ميلادها لتبيض وتموت ) . وسيعبره . سيعبره بحثا عن الديمومة . وسيشهق وسيضحك . لقد جاء إليه غريبا . سيظل بين جدرانه الدافئة غريبا . وحالما يدفع تلك الكائنات الحية الصغيرة المضطربة في الهاوية الملعونة سيخرج فقيرا مدحورا يشعر بخيانة ما ( ..... ) . لن ينسى الإنسان أبدا طريق الذكر الذي عبره في البدء . سيتذكره ليس بالذاكرة وإنما بالذكر . سيعود إليه بعد البلوغ أكثر شوقا وتولعا . ولن يدخل فيه بجميع بدنه كما فعل في تلك السنوات التي مضت وإنما سيدخل برأسه . بعد ذلك سيندفع غير مبال بالخطر والفضيحة والقانون والدين . الله هناك خلف الأشياء الصغيرة . خلف كل شهقة . كل صرخة مندفعا في الظلام كالثور في قاعة المسلخ . الله لا يوجد في الأشياء الكبيرة . في الشرانق . في المح . ينشق فمه . تن

Trusting Liar (#5) Leave a reply

Trusting Liar (#5) Leave a reply Gertruida is the first to recover.  “Klasie… ?” “Ag drop the pretence, Gertruida. You all call me ‘Liar’ behind my back, so why stop now? Might as well be on the same page, yes?” Liar’s face is flushed with anger; the muscles in his thin neck prominently bulging. “That diamond belongs to me. Hand it over.” “What are you doing? Put away the gun…” “No! This…,” Liar sweeps his one hand towards the horizon, “…is my place.  Mine!   I earned it! And you…you have no right to be here!” “Listen, Liar, we’re not the enemy. Whoever is looking for you with the aeroplane and the chopper….well, it isn’t us. In fact, we were worried about you and that’s why we followed you. We’re here to help, man!” Vetfaan’s voice is pleading as he takes a step closer to the distraught man. “Now, put down the gun and let’s chat about all this.” Liar hesitates, taken aback after clearly being convinced that the group  had hostile intentions. “I…I’m not sure I believe